Route 133 has been reopened to two-way traffic. Further information will be posted when available.
If you have any questions, please contact the First Selectman's Office at 860-354-2731.
On Wednesday, Bridgewater officials were well represented at the CT DOT offices in Thomaston for the Preconstruction Hearing to prepare for the next phase of the ongoing Rt 133 upgrade work. We presented our own and residents’ concerns to the DOT, their contractors and inspectors. We also learned the following:
- The Level 3 contractors (Fucci), who are moving the fiber optic lines, should be finished their part of the job on Thursday, September 27th. They have been delayed by hard rock.
- Route 133 will open for alternating one way traffic on September 28th if the schedule holds.
- The DOT road contractors (Richards) will be on site until December 1st when they will have an option to extend working if weather cooperates.
- Otherwise, the work will re-start on March 1, 2017. Route 133 will be closed again at that time, and the inconvenient by-pass onto local Town roads will return.
- All work should be completed by August 1, 2017. Richards is subject to an “incentive contract”. If they finish all work before August 1st, they get a hefty bonus (~$20,000) for each day early. If late, they will lose that amount each day. The total contract is valued at $5,681,000.
- We will have update meetings with the DOT and contractors twice monthly starting in early October. We are also meeting with the DOT Project Manager next week to address our local concerns.
The Town will make every effort to keep residents informed about the project schedule if it changes or we know in a timely manner. We do realize that this project has been, and will continue to be, a major inconvenience for neighbors and travelers.
Our police will be monitoring Northrup Street speeding and will try to enforce the “No Through Trucks” prohibition. We are also demanding that the DOT to do a better job in sign placement and police presence. We want the truck traffic turned around both in Brookfield and at the State Boat Launch. Time will tell whether we can prevail on these issues.
Let’s try to be patient,
Town of Bridgewater CT
PO Box 216
44 Main Street South
Bridgewater, CT 06752