The duties and responsibilities of the Town Clerk’s Office are governed by State Statute, Town Charter and the Board of Selectmen. The State Statute governs the duties and responsibilities of the Office of Vital Statistics. Responsibilities and duties of the Town Clerk's office include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Recording documents related to real estate transactions.
- Collection of conveyance taxes
- Filing and maintaining maps, trade names, military discharges, and Notary Public Certificates
- Posting notices of meetings and filing minutes and notices received from various Boards and Commissions, as required by the Freedom of Information Laws
- Preparation of all election materials
- Registration of voters
- Issuance of marriage licenses, burial, cremation and transit permits and certified copies of birth, death, marriage and civil union licenses.
- Annual registration of dogs
- All Town Meeting Minutes are on file in the Town Clerk’s Office.
- The Town Clerk also serves as the accepting agent for civil actions brought against the Town and is responsible for processing claims and suits and submitting them to the Town Attorney, Selectmen, insurance carrier, and the department involved.